5 Lead Generation Ideas That Actually Work
Lead generation is one of the toughest assignments for any business owner. And coming up with fresh, new lead generation ideas can be the bane of your existence. The challenge is finding a handful of tactics that work consistently to bring in the lead flow you need to generate the sales you want.
With that in mind, here is a list of 5 proven lead generation ideas that you can use in your business…
1) Referrals. Obvious, no? So, if I asked you what your referral strategy was in detail you’d be able to tell me, right? Maybe you can, but in most cases business owners cannot answer that question accurately. However, having a referral strategy is crucial to building your business. As such, you need to be much more thoughtful about how you approach it. Here are some questions to consider:
- Is your customer experience worthy of getting referrals? In other words, are you delighting your current customers so much that they’d even feel comfortable referring their friends, family, or colleagues to you? How can you improve that experience so that - to paraphrase Walt Disney - they feel compelled to talk about you?
- Are you actively asking for referrals? Or are you too gun-shy to be that bold? If you are providing a top-notch service and delivering real value then you shouldn’t be ashamed to ask your customers for referrals. In fact, if what you offer really does make an impact on someone’s life then I would argue that you have a moral obligation to offer what you sell to as many people as possible.
- Do your customers feel recognized and appreciated by you when they do send referrals? A quick note of thanks is sometimes all it takes, but recognizing and rewarding your customers for their referrals is mandatory to show them that you appreciate what they do for you.
2) Offer Downloadable Content. We call these bits of information “lead magnets” and they could be anything from white papers, e-books, checklists, a video series, guides, coupons, trials/demos, etc. The key is that these pieces of content should be:
- Free or low cost
- solve a very specific problem with a very specific solution
- have a high perceived value
- can be consumed quickly
3) Email Newsletters. It’s no secret that it is much easier (not to mention cheaper) to sell something to your existing customers than it is to go out and find new customers. By building a database of active customers you can create new offers or content to send out to your customer list each month. This is also a great way to help you segment your list and create specific . Let’s say you have an e-commerce site that sells Do-It-Yourself kits to hobbyists. If you send out an offer for a free e-book on woodworking tips to your entire list then you can peel off the ones who opt-in to that list and create a series of new messages that speak to that known desire.
4) Create A Variety of Content. Content marketing is here to stay. The fact is, the marketing landscape has shifted so much and we such a wider variety of tools at our disposal (think social platforms) that we have to become much more prolific is creating content that is useful, relevant, and engaging to today’s consumer. But, don’t be stale about it. Mix it up some. White papers are great, but throw in some infographics, case studies, how-to information, etc. Above all, be of value.
5) Hustle. I included this one last because admittedly, it is the least popular. Generating leads takes effort. It takes time. It takes money or other resources. You have a business to run and payroll doesn’t stop just because you don’t have enough leads coming in the door. But, you know, if you’re in a sail boat and there’s no wind, then sometimes you just gotta row. So get out there, knock some doors, have a lunch meeting with a prospect, get on the phone with that potential JV partner, attend some networking meetings…whatever it is that you have to do to get the ball rolling. I think you’ll be surprised at how far a little hustle will go.
While I am a strong believer that these 5 points will help you generate new leads for your business I also know that these should be a part of a larger, overall strategy. You need a systemic way to generate new leads and create new customers on a consistent basis.
You need a systemic way to generate new leads and create new customers on a consistent basis.
If this is important to you, then I would strongly suggest that you grab a copy of our Lead Generation Blueprint. It is a step-by-step guide to creating a lead generation system that you can rely on in good times and bad. You can get your complimentary copy by clicking here:
Good luck to you and get out there and start generating some leads!